Committees were established in the late 1960s to discuss issues concerning women in the ISU community. Beginning in 1972, a group of women educators from Iowa State University began meeting on a regular basis for the purpose of developing a proposal for a women’s center at Iowa State University. In 1981, the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center was established on campus in the Sloss House.
The Women's Center was named after Margaret Wragg Sloss, the first woman to gain admission to and graduate from the College of Veterinary medicine here at Iowa State University. She earned her bachelor degree in zoology from Iowa State in 1923 and her master's degree in veterinary anatomy in 1923, before attaining her doctorate degree. Born in 1901, Sloss died in 1979, leaving behind a legacy of courage and tenacity. Her dedication to women and excellence live on at the Center.
For more details about the Margaret Sloss Women's Center history, click here
"May the time come when the world will recognize, and accept in a taken-for-granted sort of way, that it is as universally true of women as it is true of men, that regardless of their natural gifts and talents, of their chosen field of interest, or of the triviality or the enormity of their contributions in that field of interests; regardless of these things and the many others that are too often charged to be differentiating characteristics, all are fundamentally, and primarily only human at heart."--Margaret Sloss
Margaret Wragg Sloss literally helped shape ISU's College of Veterinary Medicine's admission policy by becoming the first woman to be admitted to and graduate from that college. After receiving her Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree, she remained on the staff, teaching veterinarian in pathology. Her scientific contributions in this realm are certainly worth noting as they are indeed, impressive. Yet is was Margaret Sloss' human qualities, her motivations, natural curiosity, perseverance, forthright temperament, and above all her sustaining sense of humanity, that enabled her to achieve her highest goals in an era filled with latent, and often blatant, prejudices against women in science.
Click here for the article by Rosalie Cushman on Margaret Sloss
"The Sloss House is located on the Iowa State University campus. This stately little house is nestled among pine trees, with a spectacular view to the west of the University's central campus. When Sloss House was built in 1883, it was both a significant and dominate building. The location of the college necessitated housing for part of the faculty, since Ames proper was an half-hour horse ride away. The structure marked the boundary of the faculty community from the rest of the college. At the time of its completion, it was one of the twelve buildings on the campus.
The Sloss House has become lost in the University's growth over the last 100 years. However, it still retains most of its original character with the surrounding environment. Everything remains virtually unchanged, as if it has just been completed, except for the overgrowth of some of the vegetation and the fact that Curtiss Hall is to the North. A view from the house to the west, south and east can give you a historic feeling of what the campus may have actually looked like in its early years." Today only three faculty home remain on campus. Construction of the new Gerdin Business College will begin during Fall 2001 just south of the Sloss House.
For more interesting facts about the Sloss House and who've lived here, click here for the article by Jeffrey Chick
by Jeffrey Chick